Since the professionals’ statement was first issued, the following new studies were published:
– “For children’s dental health measures, it was found that fluoridation rates were not significantly related to the measures of either caries or overall condition of the teeth for urban or rural areas.” (West Virginia University Rural Health ResearchCenter, 2012) (29)
– All baby foods contain fluoride, according to research presented at the 2012 annual meeting of the International Association of Dental Research. (28)
– A Journal of the American Dental Association study (Jan 2012) reports that emergency treatment for severe tooth decay in New York State tots, younger than six-years-old, has gone up substantially in numbers and costs between 2004 through 2008. Seventy-five percent of the tots decay was so extensive, it required general anesthesia to treat. This despite decades of water fluoridation reaching 72% of NYS’s population on public water supplies.
– Colgate reports, studies confirm “the association between infant formula consumption and permanent dentition fluorosis.” (27)
– The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) reports that 91% of rural Alaskan Native adolescents have cavities whether their water is fluoridated or not. (26)
– “The prolonged ingestion of fluoride may cause significant damage to health and particularly to the nervous system,” concludes a review of studies by researchers Valdez-Jimenez, et al. published in Neurologia (June 2011). The research team reports, “It is important to be aware of this serious problem and avoid the use of toothpaste and items that contain fluoride, particularly in children as they are more susceptible to the toxic effects of fluoride”
– Commonly-consumed infant fruit juices contain fluoride, some at levels higher than recommended for pubic water supplies, according to research was presented 3/17/2011 at the International Association for Dental Research annual meeting in San Diego (23)
– Water fluoride chemicals boosts lead absorption in lab animals’ bones, teeth and blood, was reported by Sawan, et al. (Toxicology 2/2010). Earlier studies already show children’s blood-lead-levels are higher in fluoridated communities, reports Sawan’s research team.
– State University of New York researchers found more premature births in fluoridated than non-fluoridated upstate New York communities, according to a presentation made at the American Public Health Association’s annual meeting on November 9, 2009 in Philadelphia.
– Researchers reported in the Oct 6 2007 British Medical Journal that fluoridation never was proven safe or effective and may be unethical. (4)
– Scientific American editors wrote in January 2008, “Some recent studies suggest that over-consumption of fluoride can raise the risks of disorders affecting teeth, bones, the brain and the thyroid gland”
– A study in the Fall 2008 Journal of Public Health Dentistry reveals that cavity-free teeth have little to do with fluoride intake. Researchers report, “The benefits of fluoride are mostly topical…while fluorosis is clearly more dependent on fluoride intake.”
– Research published in Biological Trace Element Research (April 2009). indicates that blood fluoride levels were significantly higher in patients with osteosarcoma than in control groups. (13) Osteosarcoma, a rare bone cancer, occurs mostly in children and young adults
– All infant formula, whether concentrated or not, contain fluoride at levels that can discolor teeth – even organic, according to research published in the October 2009 Journal of the American Dental Association. (16)
– Fluoride avoidance reduced anemia in pregnant women, decreased pre-term births and enhanced babies birth-weight, concludes leading fluoride expert, AK Susheela and colleagues, in a study published in Current Science (May 2010).http://www.
The science showing fluoride’s adverse effects caused the following:
– Prominent Hispanic Civil Rights Organization (League of United Latin American Citizens) votes to oppose fluoridation as a civil rights violation. (July 2011) (25)
– Water Fluoridation Injury Lawsuit Filed in Federal Court -
A 13-year-old’s fluoride-discolored teeth was allegedly caused by drinking fluoridated bottled water since infancy. Her Mom is suing the bottlers for the cost to cover up the unsightly teeth. See: http://www.nidellaw.com/blog/?
– Because fluoride can disproportionately harm poor citizens and black families, Atlanta civil rights leaders, former UN Ambassador Andrew Young and Reverend Gerald Durley, PhD have asked Georgia legislators to repeal the state’s mandatory water fluoridation law, April 2011. (24) They have recently been joined by Martin Luther Kings’s daughters Bernice and Alveda
– HHS Assistant Secretary for Health, Dr. Howard Koh, says all infant formulas, either concentrated or ready-to-feed, already contain some fluoride and, when routinely mixed with fluoridated water, increase the risk of dental fluorosis (discolored teeth), in a video commentary published on Medscape.com, March 8, 2011
– A bipartisan group of Tennessee legislators urge the TN Health Department to stop promoting fluoridation. (Feb 14, 2011) (22)
– US Department of Health and Human Services recommends lowering water fluoride levels to stem to rising rates of dental fluorosis from all sources. (January 2011)
— The Environmental Protection Agency’s Office of Water will lower safe water fluoride levels because of concerns that fluoride adversely affects bones and teeth. (January 2011)
– The Environmental Protection Agency’s Office of Pesticides proposes to ban fumigant sulfuryl fluoride because of the concern of harmful levels of fluoride residues on foods such as cocoa beans. (Jan 2011)
– On April 12, 2010, Time magazine listed fluoride as one of the “Top Ten Common Household Toxins” and described fluoride as both “neurotoxic and potentially tumorigenic if swallowed.”
– The National Kidney Foundation dropped its fluoridation support replacing it with this caution: “Individuals with CKD [Chronic Kidney Disease] should be notified of the potential risk of fluoride exposure.” (3)
– Dr. A. K. Susheela, a leading fluoride expert, explains in a video why US physicians overlook fluoride as a possible cause of diseases commonly caused by fluoride. http://tinyurl.com/Susheela
– A Tennessee State legislator, Joey Hensley, who is also an MD is urging all Tennessee Water Districts to stop fluoridation, reported a Tennessee newspaper on 11/29/08. At least 30 Tennessee water districts have already complied with his request.(6)
— A video was created explaining the Bizarre origination of fluoridation chemicals. http://naturalnews.tv/v.asp?v=