Article courtesy of Larry West | September 2, 2013 | About.com | Shared as educational material only
Tainted Tap Water Used by Millions of Americans
Another 119 regulated chemicals—a total of 260 contaminants altogether—were found by the environmental group in a two-and-a-half-year analysis of more than 22 million tap water quality tests. The tests, which are required under the federal Safe Drinking Water Act, were conducted at nearly 40,000 utilities that supply water to 231 million people.
Pollution Threatens Tap Water Quality
According to a report by the EWG, the top 10 states with the most contaminants in their drinking water were California, Wisconsin, Arizona, Florida, North Carolina, Texas, New York, Nevada, Pennsylvania and Illinois—in that order. EWG said the biggest sources of contaminants were agriculture, industry and pollution from sprawl and urban runoff.
Utilities Need More Enforceable Standards for Tap Water
EWG’s analysis also found that almost all U.S. water utilities comply fully with enforceable health standards once they are developed. The problem, according to the environmental group, is the EPA’s failure to establish enforceable health standards and monitoring requirements for many tap water contaminants.
“Our analysis clearly demonstrates the need for greater protection of the nation’s tap water supplies, and for increased health protections from a number of pollutants that are commonly found but currently unregulated.” said Jane Houlihan, vice president for science at EWG, in a prepared statement. “Utilities routinely go beyond what is required to protect consumers from these contaminants, but they need more money for testing, and for protection of vital source waters.”
- Read the Report: A National Assessment of Tap Water Quality
- National Tap Water Quality Database
- Why is Chlorine Added to Tap Water?
- Does Fluoride in Tap Water Improve or Harm Your Health?
- What’s in Your Water? – Check the National Tap Water Testing database to learn the quality of your local tap water.
- Find a Contaminant – Check this list of contaminants, which have been found in tap water tests by water utilities and lack enforceable health standards.
Tap Water Quality
- How to navigate STW ™ postings:
Monthly posting’s calendar, become a subscriber or obtain RSS feed by going to the bottom index of this page.
- Explanation of Index:
- This Months Postings: Calendar on left displays articles and pages posted on a given day.
- Current and Archived Postings: Click on the month you want to view. Most current article for the month will appear at top of screen.
- RSS Links : Obtain your RSS feeds.
- Subscribe: Subscribe to postings by entering your e-mail address and confirming your e-mail.