Article courtesy of Lewis Dyson| April 12, 2014 |Kent Online| Shared as educational material
In January we reported that eight houses in an extension to Mount Field, Queenborough, are being investigated.
There are allegations their water has been illegally connected to a public supply and their sewerage system consists of a noncompliant pumping station.
Other homes in the same street are unaffected.
Developer Quinton Searle has denied any wrongdoing and said he was ready to install a connection to the main sewerage system or a new pumping station but said he cannot until he gets the go-ahead from Southern Water.
Resident Zoe Lambkin said the problems still persist.
She said: “Last week I had 9,000 gallons of sewage sucked out from underneath my garage which has returned again.”
Southern Water wrote to the affected homes in January to warn them not to drink from the taps due to a risk of contamination.
A spokesman said: “We have been liaising with the residents and the council to help get affected customers properly connected to our sewerage
system which will also help protect their water supplies.
“This will involve either installing an effective pumping station or laying a new gravity sewer and we are looking at these options to provide a permanent solution as quickly as possible.
“The standpipe providing drinking water remains in place and once we have secured the wastewater services, we will be in a position to remove the standpipe.
“Our investigation into how this situation has arisen continues.
“The relevant properties are not customers of Southern Water either for the supply of water or removal of waste water.
“It is disappointing the developer has failed to address the current problems and by this default Southern Water is voluntarily assisting the residents in order to install and regularise these essential services.”
He added that the utility company has removed thousands of litres of waste water sitting underneath properties because of a “defective” system.