Article courtesy of TNN | October 9, 2014 | The Times of India | Shared as educational material
A fifteen years old boy died and many other persons, mainly children fell ill after consuming water from Ken river in Hamirpur. The incident took place at Chani Bacha village in Sisodhar. In this region, people use river water for daily drinking purpose.
Wednesday evening, more than ten persons, mainly children fell ill after consuming the water and by late night Ankit, son of Ramdin died. Santosh, Rashi, Shiva, Sudha, Maya, Reeta, Jyoti and Purnima, all aged between 3 and 16 years, had to be admitted to the community health centre (CSC) from where they some were referred to the district hospital.
CSC incharge, Dr Anil Sachan said that the situation is under control. The sample of the water had been sent for lab analysis.
DM Hamirpur Bhawnath said there is a possibility of food poisoning too due to heat. A probe had been ordered into the matter. A water pipeline has been sanctioned for the area which will be laid down soon, he added