An estimated 80,000 chemicals are available for commercial use in the United States and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has only been able to restrict the use of less than 10. It is clear that potentially harmful substances are able to slip through the broken legislation. However, passing a new law that can please everyone will not be an easy task. A mix of issues from all parties involved creates a severe challenge in reforming the TSCA.
Forward osmosis is a process that is currently being explored and tested more frequently. Experts seek to discover the effectiveness of the process to produce freshwater from the dirtiest wastewaters in which reverse osmosis cannot.
Citizens in the southern town of Ain Salah have taken a stance through frequent protests, often violent, in a desperate attempt to save their most precious commodity; water.
There once were three villages, and all were well. Over time, the first village ran out of water, the second village’s water became unclean, but the third village was able to keep their water clean and in abundant supply. The world is waking up and working on village number one. With the destabilized global hydrologic systems we are all living with, our common humanity may be all members of village one. Village two is in great need, yet there are a great many people and resources being directed at solving the problem. Village three is happening. Not en masse, but step by step.
World Water Day 2015, through it’s theme “Water and Sustainable Development,” endeavors to explore how deeply interconnected water is to various public systems, to include food, health, urbanization, industry, energy, and equality, and how we can transform them by employing a comprehensive strategy of sustainability.
This year, the theme is “Water and Sustainable Development,”1 highlighting the issue of water scarcity. Water is a resource used every single day, often times irresponsibly or absentmindedly, making this theme highly relevant for today.
Microsoft founder Bill Gates and engineering firm, Janicki Bioenergy, are currently at the forefront of the most recent groundbreaking advances in water science by discovering a way to turn feces into clean drinking water (1).
Without access to clean water we would not be able to drink, bathe, properly clean our clothes, wash dishes or use the toilet. Can you imagine your daily routine without being able to accomplish any of these tasks? The reality is 2.5 billion people (one-third of the total population) lack access to clean water and sanitation.
Dr Adam Jeziorski and his research team from the Department of Biology, Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario published their findings in the Proceedings of the Royal Society B. Entitled “The Jellification of North Temperate Lakes”, their paper argues that acidification from industial processes, such as oil production, is having a direct impact on aquatic organisms heavily reliant on calcium, in particular members of the Daphnia genus, the water fleas that are among the dominant planktonic species of these lakes.
As Florida residents drive past dozens of lawn signs and bumper stickers, “Say yes to one” has caught some attention. As the November elections rapidly approach in the state, water conservation has landed at the top spot on the ballot. The Florida Water and Land Conservation Amendment obtained the number one spot on the ballot for this years’ mid-term elections. If passed, the Land Acquisitions Trust Fund would be required to restore and maintain wetlands including the Everglades, forests, drinking water sources, beaches, rivers and lakes.
Water is a precious resource here on Earth. Although the surface of our planet is 71% water, only a tiny fraction of that is available for human needs, such as drinking, food production, and sanitation. In fact, a massive 97.5% of Earth’s total stock of water is saline, leaving only 2.5% freshwater, and 70% of that freshwater is locked frozen in the polar ice caps.1 From Earth’s perspective, water is scarce.