Physical evidence of neurodegenerative disease was found in the brains of some deceased Chamorro villagers and New Hampshire residents that lived on or near bodies of water that are known to contain cyanobacteria, also called “blue algae.” This alarming discovery has prompted further study into the connection between toxins in our food and water and the disorders that may occur as a result of contamination.
Researchers has identified domestic sewage from hotels and camping sites on the lake’s shoreline. They said there were almost no facilities in Listvyanka to sufficiently cleanse the sewage. All samples showed chemical and microbiological contamination, including fecal.
The organisms commonly known as blue-green algae have proliferated much more rapidly than other algae in lakes across North America and Europe over the past two centuries — and in many cases the rate of increase has sharply accelerated since the mid-20th century, according to an international team of researchers.
New Water Research Foundation Study Addresses Most Effective Methods for Removing Toxic Algae from Drinking Water
The Water Research Foundation (WRF) has released findings of a study addressing effective removal methods for cyanobacteria and other toxic algae from drinking water, and provides guidance to water utilities on the optimization of conventional treatment for the removal of cyanobacteria and metabolites while meeting other water quality goals.
Cyanobacteria, formerly known as blue-green algae, is contaminating Clear Lake, in Lake County, California. The microorganisms are capable of rapid population growth under ideal conditions, resulting in a “bloom.”
Blue-green algae is thriving in Oklahoma’s reservoirs this summer due to the combined factors of high heat, drought, and the resulting stagnant water, reports News9.com. Although the presence of thealgae, which can be toxic to humans and animals, prevents people from swimming in the reservoirs around Oklahoma City, News9.com advises that water treatment officials say drinking water is safe. Water treatment plants use a process that eliminates the algae from the public drinking water.